24 Hour Home Care for Seniors
5 Frequently Asked Questions About 24 Hour Home Care
Sometimes, part-time care isn’t enough. You’re worried about Mom or Dad’s well-being, but you can’t look after them around the clock. Whether it’s short or long-term, non-stop care might be the best solution for better sleep and safer living.
Here are questions we hear the most about 24 hour home care for seniors:
1. When should we consider 24 hour home care?
Use this list to help you decide if continuous monitoring is the right option:
- The person doesn’t sleep through the night (or gets up more than 2-3 times per night).
- The person has difficulty moving around and is at a high risk of falls.
- The person was recently (or is about to be) discharged from the hospital and needs constant monitoring.
- The person’s spouse or relative is exhausted from helping day and night.
If one or more of these statements is true, you may want to consider 24 hour home care.
2. What’s the difference between 24 hour care and a live-in caregiver?
With 24 hour care, your loved one receives attention around the clock. There’s no need for sleep breaks or pauses because two or more caregivers can rotate shifts.
At Nurse Next Door, 24 hour home care means active supervision all day and all night. Depending on local labor laws, shifts may last 8 or 12 hours per caregiver.
Read more about the difference between 24-hour care and live-in care here.
3. Is it easy to switch between 24 hour care and a less intensive schedule?
In some cases, you might start with 24 hour care but soften the schedule to part-time or occasional case (for example, after discharge from the hospital). In other cases, you might scale up to 24 hour home care with a worsening condition.
Either way, we work with you to create a care plan that’s flexible to your needs. This type of care doesn’t need to be 24/7; you can opt for a 24-hour block once or twice a week.
4. How do I set up 24 hour home care with Nurse Next Door?
We customize care based on our clients’ unique needs. We know 24 hour care may come with some urgency, and we can often get you on the schedule within 48 hours.* Before starting care, here’s what to expect from the complimentary consult and the days to follow:
- Getting to know you: We’ll meet with you and your family at home to learn about specific care needs and priorities while setting goals and expectations.
- Caregiver/nurse selection: If you have caregiver preferences, we’ll do our best to accommodate your wishes and bring the same people back as often as possible.
- Care plan and schedule: We’ll develop a care plan and create a schedule that works for everyone.
*We try to provide care as soon as possible. Depending on your needs, we may need more time to assess the skill level required and find the perfect fit.
5. What can I expect from 24 hour home care?
We’ll be in touch about the schedule details, so you know exactly who is coming and when. At the first visit, one of our expert Care Designers will be there to introduce you to the caregiver. We’ll leave a communication book with you, which is a binder used for the family to collaborate with the care team.
After the first week, we’ll review the care plan together to update any observations we’ve made. Ongoing assessments are part of Nurse Next Door’s 24 hour care offering.
More than anything, you can expect peace of mind knowing that your loved one is safe and receiving care at all times. Get in touch with a Care Specialist today to answer your questions, call 1-877-588-8609.
(Thanks to our Vancouver Care Designers for their valuable contributions to this article!)